Derek A. Schroth
University of Florida, B.A. (1997)
University of Florida, M.P.A. (2000)
University of Florida, Graduate Certificate in Public Affairs (2000)
University of Florida, J.D. (2000)
- Journal of Law and Public Policy
- Senior Research Editor
- Executive Board Member
Areas of Practice:
Class Action Litigation
Government Law (Florida Bar Board Certified)
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida (2003)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (2012)
Community Involvement and Affiliations:
The Florida Bar (2000 to Present)
Lake County Bar Association (2000 to Present)
Town Attorney, Town of Lady Lake, Florida (2005 to Present)
City Attorney, City of Eustis, Florida (2008 to Present)
Judicial Nominating Commission, Fifth Judicial Circuit of Florida – Chair (2011 to Present)
Quasi-Judicial Hearing Officer, City of Orlando (2013 to Present)
Habitat for Humanity of Lake-Sumter, Florida Inc. – Pro Bono Legal Advisor (2007 to Present)
Eustis Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors (2003 to 2005)
Lake Eustis Arts Accord – President (2006-2009)
City of Eustis – Budget Committee (2004-2005)
Lake County Bar Association – Board of Directors (2006-2009)
Lake County Bar Association – Secretary (2006-2007)
Lake County Bar Association – Vice President (2007-2008)
Lake County Bar Association – President (2008-2009)
Lake Sumter State College – Former Adjunct Professor of Real Estate Law
Lake County Gator Boosters Club
Eustis Kiwanis Club
Honors, Awards, Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- 40th Annual Local Government Law Section Speaker “Whistle While You Work? Protecting Whistle-blowers and Litigating Against Blowhards.” (2017)
- 39th Annual Local Government Law Section Speaker “Unlawful Taxation, Avoiding Legal Challenges to Revenue Raising for Public Services.” (2016)
- The Florida Bar – Voluntary Service Award for “Selfless Contributions of Time and Talent” as Florida Bar Appointed Inventory Attorney (2009).
- University of Florida – Certificate of Outstanding Achievement, Pro Bono (2000).
Certifications and Professional Designations:
Board Certified in City, County and Local Government Law.
Board Certified in Business Litigation.
One of only two lawyers confirmed by the Florida Bar as an expert in both business litigation and local government law.