Historical Landmarks

 
10 N. Grove St. (Eustis City Hall)_smallEustis City Hall, 10 N. Grove Street (c. 1923 and 1927): Eustis City Hall was constructed in two phases completed circa 1923 and 1927. This building, on the local level, has cultural and historical significance in the development of Eustis from its early days up until present times. City Hall is the center of city government and once included the library, fire department, police department, jail, and rooms for various organizations’ civic engagements. Even though many of these functions have moved to new locations as the City has grown, the building still maintains it original use as the center of local government. City Hall was designed by Alan J. MacDonough in the Classical Revival style of architecture. (Local Landmark status granted 2010)


563 N. Bay St. (Clifford House)_small

Clifford House, 536 N. Bay Street (c. 1910): This structure is named for G.D. Clifford and his family. Mr. Clifford arrived in
 Eustis in 1875. He was a local merchant, businessman, and civic participant. The Clifford House served as a private residence until 1983 when it became home to the Eustis Historical Museum & Preservation Society. This neo-classical style house provides a true step back into time and is a significant reminder of early Eustis. The Clifford House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Local Landmark status granted 2010)


 

200 Ferran Park Dr. (McClelland Bandshell)_small

Alice B. McClelland Memorial Bandshell, 200 Ferran Park Drive (c. 1926): The bandshell was financed by William S. McClelland a local banker, businessman, and civic leader. He constructed the bandshell in honor of his wife, Alice, and donated it to the City. The fact that the bandshell is located in Ferran Park, the first public park in Eustis circa 1918, adds to the historical, cultural, and social context in which the bandshell was built and used. The bandshell was designed by Alan J. MacDonough in the Mediterranean Revival style of architecture. The structure is a good example of parabolic acoustical design and one of the two remaining historic bandshells in Florida. The Alice B. McClelland Memorial Bandshell is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. (Local Landmark status granted 2010)


 

227 N. Center St. (Eustis Woman's Club)_small

Eustis Woman’s Club, 227 N. Center Street (c. 1930): This building is significant on the local level for its association with the Eustis Woman's Club, a social and civic organization that has been active since 1902. In 2009 the Eustis Woman’s Club donated their building to the City, however, the club continues to meet at this location. The Eustis Woman's Club building was designed in the Neo-Classical style of architecture by Alan J. MacDonough, a local architect who also designed the Eustis City Hall building in the same style. The Eustis Woman’s Club building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Local Landmark status granted 2010)


 

108 N. Bay St. (Grand Magnolia)_small

Grand Magnolia Inn, 108 N. Bay Street (c. 1912): This building first opened as the First State Bank in 1913 and was known as the “McClelland Building” after the bank’s president – William S. McClelland. Located in a prominent location in downtown, this building exhibits typical downtown development with commercial on the ground floor and residential on the upper floors. The most notable thing about the Grand Magnolia Inn is its Italianate style of architecture, which is not very common in the south. The structure has wonderful brickwork and is perhaps the most ornate building in the downtown area.The Grand Magnolia Inn is a contributing structure in the Eustis Historic Commercial District which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Local Landmark status granted 1999)


 

535 S. Bay St. (Gethsemane Baptist Church)_small

Gethsemane Baptist Church, 535 S. Bay Street (c. 1914): The Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1884. The current church was built on this location in 1914. This masonry vernacular structure has Gothic style fixed stained glass windows and a notable corner tower with battlements that form an angled entry. The Gethsemane Baptist Church has significant cultural history as one of the early African American Churches in Eustis. (Local Landmark status granted 2000)


 

113-119 N. Bay St., 112 McCulloch's Alley (Iron Block)_small

Iron Block Building, 113 – 119 N. Bay Street and 112 McCulloch’s Alley (c. 1881): As the oldest commercial building still standing in Eustis, the Iron Block building exhibits the traditional style of downtown development with commercial on the bottom floor and residential on the upper floors. The Iron Block building is a three story building. The ground floor has a brick facade while the upper floors have a stucco exterior. Pedimented hoods adorn the windows on the second story. The Iron Block building is a contributing structure in the Eustis Commercial Historic District which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Local Landmark status granted 1998)


 

402 N. Bay St. (Crazy Gator)_small

Crazy Gator’s Restaurant, 402 N. Bay Street (c. 1928): Originally the Eustis Feed, Seed, and Supply Co., this structure has been home to several types of businesses over the years including a motorcycle shop in the 1970s and current use as a restaurant. This masonry vernacular structure has a notable stair stepped parapet façade and continues to contribute to the economic vitality and development of the downtown area. (Local Landmark status granted 2000)


 

1609 E. Bates Ave. (Ace Theater)_small

Ace Theater, 1609 E. Bates Avenue (c. 1945): In 2010 Ace Theater collapsed which resulted in the demolition of this structure. The significance of Ace Theater is its place in history as the only theater built for African-American moviegoers in Eustis. Ace Theater is a significant and symbolic reminder of African-American heritage and culture within the City from the days of segregation to integration. This structure was a simple masonry vernacular building featuring a stair stepped façade. The interior had a concrete floor which sloped toward the stage area. (Local Landmark status granted 2001)


 

Mount Olive Cemetery_small

Mt. Olive Cemetery, Huffstetler Road (c. 1909): Mt. Olive Cemetery maintains significant cultural heritage as an Africa-American Cemetery. The original 5 acres of the cemetery was purchased in 1909 for the sum of $50. Today the site is approximately 10 acres and was incorporated into the City limits in 1991. Prior to Mt. Olive Cemetery, African-American residents were buried in the northeast corner of Greenwood Cemetery in Eustis. It is noted that Mt. Olive Cemetery was originally called Mt. Homer Cemetery. (Local Landmark status granted 2004)